Tales of my family's journey into the mysterious world of free-range chicken farming.

Monday, August 29, 2011

But Miss Scarlett, I don't know nuthin' about birthin' no chicken farm!

My husband and I recently decided to become free-range chicken farmers.  Notwithstanding the fact that although I grew up on a ranch in Texas, I have never raised a chicken in my life, and my husband grew up in Berkeley, CA where his experiences with chickens were limited the rare occasions when he found one on his plate, we are both committed to, and excited by this what I'm going to call 'whimsical'  endeavor.
We actually have some sound reasoning for our seemingly nutty decision.  We (meaning I) have actually been thinking about it for many years - ever since we made the decision to move back to Texas about twelve years ago, when our son was a toddler.  We knew we were going to be living on the family ranch, and we knew that although my father is the absolute totalitarian ruler of the ranch, we would, eventually need to make some decisions about how to handle the land after he and my mother left it.  But that was (and thankfully, still is) in the future.  Right now my father is still going pretty strong for a beat up old hardworking rancher.of seventy-six, and he continues to run the ranch completely, summoning our help only on an "as needed" basis.  Which is absolutely fine with us. 
   Still, Paul (husband) and I feel we have a resource that we are not taking full advantage of, namely, the land that we currently reside upon.  We have a fantastic vegetable garden most years ( I say most because this year our garden was decimated by the starving deer of the worst drought I've ever experienced) but we still have ten acres that my father isn't using for ranching that we could do something with - at least, that's what we think.  We don't actually know much.  We are hoping we can start out with just that.  Foolish?  Perhaps, but hard work and a willingness to learn will go a long way, and that we definitely know we have.
Also, about fifteen years ago, I made the discovery of free-range chicken.  After several years of eating chicken raised in this way, I simply cannot and do not wish to go back to what I suppose is called "conventionally raised" chicken (hereafter referred to as "CR").  To me, the difference in taste is so strong that I would rather do without chicken altogether than eat that other stuff.
 I have done some research on organic, free-range, grass-fed (some might say)hippie-type agriculture, if only to discover for myself whether there is some truth or if it is, as it often is, just people believing what they want to believe because it sounds good or even more often, is politically correct (And by the way, after living in the California Bay Area for many years, I am profoundly sick of political correctness - just make decisions based on what is RIGHT for God's sake, it's not that hard to figure out much of the time.) and what I found out through reading extensively from books, magazines, scientific journals and anecdotal evidence as well as many websites (so you'll believe I did my homework) is that yes, organically grown, free-range, grass-fed food is scientifically proven to be better for people, the animals themselves, and the enviornment.  It's not a bunch of hooey.  So add that to my list of reasons.
Plus, the reality is that the market for the above is growing - fast.  And there simply aren't enough people at the moment filling the void, so it is far more expensive to buy than CR food.  I live in a small community, but there is a huge demand for it right here.  Some people I have spoken to guarantee that they can sell all the chickens and eggs I can raise.  And I don't think it's just talk, although I'll let you know, after I do some more research.  I actually believe we might be able to create some income from this.  I'm not looking to get rich, but I wouldn't turn a profit down, either! 
Plus, I admit I have found myself strangely drawn to my sister-in-law's small flock of chickens, (she lives on the ranch too) and darned if I don't love to watch her colorful, crazy chickens pecking around or running around like - well, you know.  They're actually kind of cute, and that's saying something coming from one who has often said "There's a reason for the term birdbrain - it's becaue birds are stupid!"  I find I kind of like the old gals.
Too, we (meaning I) have the time at the moment, having recently stopped teaching after twenty-odd years, and my son is now fourteen and is a super busy, involved kid who only needs me to ferry him around and cheer him on in his various endeavor anymore.  And when he is actually present, he can help around here with the chickens - it will be good for him to be part of something like this - character building or something like that, I'm sure.
So for all of the above reasons, we are going to jump in, feet first.  No matter that we don't know anything - Rome wasn't built instantly, and I don't expect this to happen in a day, or even a week.  We have a lot to learn, do and build...I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment